Marriage: Team McAwesome

12.13.2011


John Paul and I make a good team. Literally. As in, when we're playing games it's a lot more fun to be on the same team. Last night was our first Christmas party of the season and lets just say we came home with a lot of prizes from games. Maybe it's because neither of us are super competitive? Maybe our cultural knowledge compliments one another? Maybe we secretly have a telepathic link between our minds? (I'm gonna go with the last one because it's the most awesome of the explanations).

I've always looked at marriage as a team of sorts. It's a chance to have a partner to tackle life with. No matter what you're going through, you know there is another person who has your back, can contribute different perspectives, and will encourage you. Maybe it's possible to have that in a friend or any significant other, but there is something about marriage that puts it at an entirely different level. The understood commitment, the intertwining of your everyday lives, it's nearly impossible to live completely separate lives even if you try (not to say that some marriages aren't exactly that...living two separate lives). Maybe that's why divorce can be one of the most painful experiences a person can go through.

It may be a cheesy cliche to compare marriage to teamwork, but I feel like that was one of the most appealing things to me about marriage. It may not be the most important aspect, but it is pretty great.

From a Christian perspective there's also the added element of ministry and ministering together. Some people are called to singleness and there is truth to the idea that you can serve and be less distracted as a single man or woman. Relationships take a lot of investment. You will put a great deal of your time and energy into the relationship. But I think for most, the desire for partnership is nearly inherent. And that's okay. Singleness or marriage, there is no lesser or greater---you just serve how you are called and there are advantages and disadvantages to each. Christian marriage is meant to be a reflection of Christ's relationship with the Church. The partnership of marriage enables you to serve as a team, to cover more needs, and to keep one another both accountable and encouraged. I think that's pretty amazing myself.

So I guess it's little things like Christmas party games that can remind me how much I love being married to John Paul. I'm really thankful he is mine. I know that I am blessed to have a husband I respect and trust. A husband who loves me. I like that we're in this thing together. :)

2 comments:

  1. I enjoy reading all of your blog posts, but I especially enjoyed this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lifelong partners are awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete