To Read & To Listen

5.16.2011



I love to read both for pleasure and growth. I also love music, movies...(anything in the arts really) and my all time favorite past time is probably discussing all of these over coffee with friends. I'm not shy about my opinions on books, and I never hesitate to go out and get my hands on a book that comes highly recommended by a friend. So in the spirit of spurring on more of those conversations, here's what I'm currently getting myself into...

I recently read:



I just started reading:



I have these books on my radar or shelf waiting to be started:



I'm currently listening to:



Quick breakdown:

Recently read: Crazy Love by Francis Chan (was read in our small groups, and very much enjoyed. I know Francis Chan has skyrocketed into popularity in Christian circles and it could be a temptation to idolize him, but I still have a great respect for him. He challenges apathy and he seems to live it out. I'd recommend this book to any Christian who wants to examine their faith or be challenged in it). Dead Reckoning by Charlaine Harris (...I'm going to go ahead and call this a guilty pleasure. I can't in good conscious recommend this series to anyone since it is occasionally a bit risque and Ms. Harris is just a standard writer, nothing too brilliant. But once I started this series I had to finish. This is book 11 in the Sookie Stackhouse Series (the show Trueblood is based off of these books). Love Wins by Rob Bell. (It's no secret this book is "controversial" in Christian circles and I have the very strong opinion that you can't really have an opinion on something you haven't read, so I read it).

Currently reading: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (is the first in a post apocalyptic trilogy recommended to me by one of my best friends, Leah. I happen to really like the genres of dystopian and post apocalyptic  literature so I grabbed it). Radical by David Platt (was highly recommended to me by my good pal Ryan (check out his blog Dishwashers in the Revolution if you are interested in the emerging church) who practically called this book life changing. I've heard a lot of good things about it so I'm excited to read it). The Lightening Thief by Rick Riordan (first in the Percy Jackson series of which they made a mediocre film a couple years back. I like Greek mythology and ever since I took Children's literature I've looked at it in a whole new way and hold absolutely no guilt in reading children's books).


On my radar or shelf waiting to be read: Forgotten God by Francis Chan (not to get on a Francis Chan kick, but I've heard really great things about this book and intend to read it in the near future). Food Matters by Mark Bittman (I mentioned this in my last post and plan to start it in June during my "Health & Fitness" month). Going Postal by Terry Pratchett (if you have yet to discover Terry Pratchett and love witty dry humor in the context of the fantasy genre, he is definitely a must read. I haven't read this one yet, but my boss recommended it to me as his favorite Pratchett book).


What I'm currently listening to: Three new albums I just picked up: 21 by ADELE, Of Man by Cool Hand Luke, and The Resistance by MUSE.

No comments:

Post a Comment